Monday, April 24, 2023

Dispatches from the road cycling on Trans America Trail

 Dispatches from the road by Bill Poindexter






(Reposted with links to a video the day before I wrote this amd then second just a few hours when I woke cold and it started to snow)


Well I am here in Hartville Missouri, finally got on the Transamerica Route also known at US Bike Route 76 Going to be sleeping under a pavilion in  city park-I had to build a barrier to block the 20 mph constant wind that just happens to be blowing perfectly on my tent. But I’m in the tent now warm and toasty with a cuppa coffee by my side three slices of pizza in my tummy along with some chocolate milk. Not gonna be cooking tonight too much wind. I decided to take advantage of the wind on my back today after three or four days Of headwinds. And today was fairly easy I made sure I had enough food as yesterday I bonked

In the afternoon if you don’t know what bonking is Basically it’s when you haven’t eaten enough food it’s the nemesis of endurance athletes you get a little confused, erratic heart rate, irritable, it’s not a pleasant experience as I was heading from Bolivar to Fair Grove. I happen to meet a young woman on the road Jessica who introduced me to her brother-in-law, Sid, Who was kind enough to offer me a place to crash in take a shower but also told me about a sweet camping spot which I took advantage of by creek last night it was absolutely beautiful. He even brought me some water and cookies after dinner with his family. A true trail angel both he and Jessica. Even though I did get a visit from the police later in the evening, but the cop was cool cool and just wanted to make sure I wasn’t a vagrant looking to set up camp for a month or two. Ha ha. And this morning I did do a video and I tried to download it to my Rumble account but for some reason it’s not downloading so I might have to have Wi-Fi I’ll check it out later. Anyway I’m tired I’m going to try to sleep tonight even though the winds blowing crazy. But I’d rather be outside even though I’m on a slab of concrete tonight than inside any day. I think it’s going to get colder tonight glad I brought my winter gear hence why my bike is so loaded. This time of year April and May you have to be prepared for anything. So if you like my words in my soon to be videos feel free to connect with me, make comments, and/or buy me a cup of coffee and a sandwich I’m on a tight budget on this trip so a cup of coffee and a sandwich would be a joy! Thanks to all of you who have contributed and you will be getting more good content coming soon!


Let me know your thoughts


https://rumble.com/v2f5uie-bicycle-tour-a-humility-day.html


Later that night…


 https://rumble.com/v1u4apo-cold-night-biking-from-kansas-city-to-yorktown-virginia-in-a-city-park-in-s.html

No comments:

Post a Comment