Monday, June 12, 2023

Dispatches from the road day, 20

 Dispatches from the Road by Bill Poindexter



Well, I’ve been up here and remote, Montana and the town of Polebridge for 20 days now. I’m still learning the lay of the land-Learning about its inhabitants, it’s nature and wildlife, the weather, the the feuds locals have. How the government manages the national Park, national forest, and how local biologists with various institutes and fish and game try to control, the animal populations and sometimes mother nature- sometimes they’re right and sometimes they’re wrong. The nice thing about this area is that where I live is off the grid so it’s only run by generators and solar power but even that has its toxic effects, the generators are noisy and they still take fossil fuels. The solar power is better than it was years ago, but still somewhat inefficient . Someone told me yesterday that three locals who live next to each other died of bladder cancer. I’m not sure how many years ago so the water supply might be tainted with something? That’s just concerning. And even though we’re in a remote area it’s not without its politics everybody has an opinion. And so as with any place, I have to watch the lay of the land and be careful and navigate wisely and right now I am being very careful.. especially with my coworkers, bosses and local leaders. Being a man who is outspoken and not afraid to say the truth sometimes it’s really hard to keep my mouth shut. Every time I’ve moved to a community no matter how pristine or beautiful there’s always politics. Just the way of the world. But even with all the negativity and there’s a lot -there’s much much beauty like a hummingbird just came up to me red head with a brown body. I’ve seen bear I’ve seen mountain lion, lots of deer, grouse, bald eagle, various types of hawks I rode my biked up to red Meadow Lake yesterday, which is 5 miles to the north of Polebridge and then about another 12 or so miles up to red Meadow Lake and if you continue onto the road heading south you’ll get to whitefish I didn’t make it all the way up because of a pending storm and I just didn’t have the appropriate gear with me, so I turned around and rode home And I saw some tour divide riders that’s a race that goes from Banff Alberta, Canada all the way to antelope Wells, Mexico, or vice versa on what’s known as the great divide mountain bike route which I’ve done most of a couple of times. So that was fine and the Views are spectacular. On way home my crank came off my bike. I tried to fix it on the side of the road couldn’t get it to work, so luckily I was only a couple miles away from where my friend Bill Fordyce lives at a yoga retreat business. Bill was able to get it back on and we are we got it all tightened up, so I think I’m good to go. People often ask me with my bicycle touring adventures if I’m a good mechanic and I laughingly tell them that I become a mechanic when I’m on the road and that’s what happened in this case too. It was a lesson of humility for sure, and that I need to be more prepared when I go up into the mountains and not be lax With my preparedness and self reliance/ rescue skills.


 It’s about six in the morning on Monday and it’s clear skies. I’m sitting in front of my cabin. It’s probably around 50°. I’m hoping for more work soon! I only had three days shifts last week and this week I’m only on for three days -as it picks up, we’re gonna have more hours so then I’ll probably be wanting less hours but right now money is tight and I’m still paying for everything and Kansas City. So feeling a little stressed out just venting. Still feeling a little bit homesick. I miss my cats I miss my friends there. But making new friends here and getting to know lay of the land. The plan is now today, Monday, I’m gonna hitch a ride into town with one of the other bartenders, Alex, really nice guy, and open up a bank account. And would be nice to go to a grocery store. 

I am just sharing all this with you, humbly, in the early morning just a little self reflection I’ve been here almost 3 weeks -I like it. I like the people -I like nature -I like riding my bike up mountain roads and even just to work and smelling the pine trees, I like looking out my back window of my little cabin and looking at my backyard, which is basically the Flathead National Forest, I’m enjoying meeting people and hearing stories like John Carbone, from Maine, who’s been on the road for two years, traveling in an RV and has been to almost all the national parks east of the Mississippi and making his way west and I believe he’s going to be heading to Alaska shortly on his own spiritual journey. Here’s a man who’s overcome much diversity in his life close to my age. Trying to make peace with his demons, the same demons/issues many of us have in life. I encouraged him yesterday, and a long conversation on the front porch of the Merc, while Huckleberry bear claws to start writing down his tales from the road. John I hope you write them down if you’re reading this. I am hoping to stay here for the whole summer… But that being said, with all the internal politics here in the small hamlet, if I have enough money saved, I may just hit the road in late August. I also still want to do more videos and I’ve taken a few, and maybe even do a podcast still I’m working on it. The reason why I hesitate is because once you go on that route, you’re someone obligated and I kind of like my simple “dispatches” from the road. It suits me now- my writing: it’s been going well but not great, mostly just using all my senses, and again figuring out the lay of the land.

  


Thanks for reading this and all my words. If you like these words feel free to share. Sometimes I post on Facebook you can friend me there. I think you can go to blogspot on the website version and put your email in to get notifications of every time I post. if you’ve been a long time reader, and want to support my writing endeavor, you can find me on Venmo under Bill Poindexter and has a picture of me with the beard ring just reach out to me directly. And if you’re in the area of Polebridge, Montana, this summer feel free to reach out. If you’re a cyclist, I’ll try to help you find a place to stay for a night or two and maybe join me for a cup of coffee and a burger.


Peace and love from the road, Bill Poindexter 














No comments:

Post a Comment