Monday, July 10, 2023

Dispatches from the road


 Dispatches from the road by Bill Poindexter


Advice to a young man and on writing 


The Peace Poem, by Bill Poindexter 


Find your own way 

Your path is yours 

Mine (humans) is mine 

If you share yours 

Do not put conditions on your sharing-

No one owes you anything 

As they have their own path 

Give unconditionally 

Or don’t give 

Take anger and frustration and turn it into Love 

Don’t admire darkness as it will only take you away from the truth and the light 

You are young and have much to learn 

I am old and have much to learn 

All will make sense with your friends:

Compassion 

Truth 

Integrity 


Authors note: this poem is a first draft that comes from a conversation I had with two friends who are struggling with their relationship. I generally like to use first drafts, as they seem to me to be the real and authentic words/poems I can write -as they come from the initial feelings that are fresh in my mind. My style of nature poetry is a form of free verse. I hope you like it. Bill Poindexter, July 10, 2023.


Advice on writing by John Steinbeck 


“Write freely and as rapidly as possible and throw the whole thing on paper. Never correct or rewrite until the whole thing is down. Rewrite in process is usually found to be an excuse for not going on. It also interferes with flow and rhythm which can only come from a kind of unconscious association with the material.”












 

No comments:

Post a Comment