Tuesday, June 21, 2022

Dispatches from the road
















































 Dispatches from the road

Dispatches from the road and the diary of a novice cheese maker by Bill Poindexter


Well I’ve been back on Martha’s Vineyard since last Friday actually Thursday. Done a little bit of interviewing and I’ve been staying on a friend of mine‘s parents property in my tent as the house has an opened up for the season. The friend I speak of is Erik and he and his friend Karam biked three years ago from New York City to Los Angeles raising money for suicide awareness and they stopped in Kansas City used warm showers app and found me and I had them stay in my apartment for a couple of days and then we rode together to Lawrence Kansas where we separated. But I stayed in touch with Erik -his parents have a place here on the Vineyard, in Chilmark, only about a eighth of a mile from where I was raised as a child for the summers at Beetlebung corner, small world. So I’m greatly appreciative of Tim, Eric‘s father, for allowing me to camp out on the property until I find employment with housing and if I don’t find employment I’m just gonna go on a bike tour up the coast and head into Maine and Vermont and New Hampshire and look for work on organic farms up there. But I’m hopeful that in the next couple days I’ll secure a roll here on the island at the “other” dairy farm on the island. This time on the island has been very reflective in a positive way I’m reminded a lot of my childhood and those memories. I’ve also been riding my bike a bit all around the island doing some more exploring although I know the island very well. And as moneys tight I’ve been eating on the cheap can’t afford the restaurant food here and I’ve been using a food bank at the local library to supplement food. But so far it’s basically cheese vegetables and whatever bread I can scrounge. Usually when I’m on the road I try to find day-old bread bakeries and that works out well cause it’s usually about half the price. Need to get a fishing rod so I can start fishing but I’m gonna wait to see if I secure a position before I do that. Also another option is seaweed Yum. :-) Anyway I’m still dealing with the post trip depression from the ride from Kansas City to Martha’s Vineyard but it’s subsiding since I’m back on the island and I’ve been spending evenings writing and reading and watching sunsets on the beach. I’m at a local library right now using their Wi-Fi so I’m able to download pictures finally because my cell reception is very spotty on the island where I’m staying. So I hope you enjoy these pictures from the road this is Martha’s Vineyard and some of the beaches I go to and the place where I’m living man if you have specific questions about any of the pictures just let me know in the comments and I’ll explain what it is and where it is. Hopefully I’ll be here all summer so you can come visit me wouldn’t that be nice? And again if you enjoy my writing dispatches and want to support this long term writing endeavor rather than me writing a book -I’m writing basically in real time to you from the places I go to and if you’d like to support that endeavor feel free to buy me a sandwich and a cup of coffee and I’d greatly appreciate it especially here! You can find me on Venmo or you can Facebook pay or just send me a message and I’ll tell you how to get in touch with me. Peace and love from the road Bill Poindexter




No comments:

Post a Comment