Sunday, April 24, 2022

Dispatches April 24

 Dispatches April 24


Dispatches from the road by Bill Poindexter


April 23rd and a little of the 24th. 6:15 AM, clear sky, crescent moon rising, Buckhorn, Kentucky at the dam campground. Well I made it here yesterday evening around 730 I left Berea just after 9 AM so needless to say it was a long day. Still finding myself not eating enough and during the day getting a little bit tired so I need to increase the food especially with these increase in Long up hills I started off yesterday morning at a Berea with a long climb to big hill I’d say at least a couple miles up and finish with the long climb to Buckhorn actually there were three long climbs from Boonville. I don’t mind long climbs actually I like long climbs time to really think about the ride to kick it into a easy gear and just roll slowly take time to stop survey of the area around you. You never want to stop when you’re going downhill specially here seems like a waste of motion. This part of Kentucky is mighty pretty. There’s definitely more poverty, reminds me of the Ozarks a little bit. Seeing more people with signs of drug use. The dogs seem to be a little more aggressive here too not sure why that is. But again it’s beautiful country. I was happy to meet a fellow rider yesterday he was coming from the east heading to the west Russ Loomis 70 years old. Russ is riding up to Oregon and then he plans to come back doing the northern tier route you can find his blog at russloomis.com. We had a good 10 minute conversation and then realized we both needed to get back on the road. I do like seeing other riders always makes me happy. After I saw him I had to sit down and eat some food realize I was starting to bonk. Then when I got the Boonville by an hour and a half later I had a big meal around 4 o’clock and then pushed hard the final 19 miles to Buckhorn. My back tire still having some issues

I keep running over debris and it caused a small leak very happy I use the sealant for the strip inside a tube. Had an issue two days ago were sealant was leaking but it sealed up and it seem to do the same thing yesterday when I was in Boonville. I have a spare tube and plenty of patches in my patch kit, but I’m letting this sealant do its job. And seems to be working well. I woke up to go P actually who am I kidding I woke up to go poop as I was watching walking to the toilets there is a hill behind the campground that I would say is probably a couple hundred feet high and I could see a light at the top and I thought that was weird somebody has a house up there I didn’t see the light last night and after I did my business in the toilet I came back to the my camp spot and I saw that it was actually the moon getting ready to crest over the small mountain. It’s really quite beautiful. So I made a quick cup of coffee with used coffee bags… Make note need to get more coffee today. Don’t know where I’m at today except it’s east, not really sure what town I’m going to be in or how long I’m gonna ride it supposed to rain the next couple days and then get cold again so that’s going to kind of suck. But I’ll embrace it as I always do. Eat sleep bike. I’d like to find some more fuel for my stove and see if I can’t locate that at the shop this morning here in town. Well I guess that’s it for now. Peace and love from the road, Bill




Having tough time downloading pictures so we’ll do it another time or you can go to my Facebook page 

No comments:

Post a Comment