Saturday, April 9, 2022

Dispatches from the road







 Dispatches from the road by Bill Poindexter

Well I broke down and got a hotel room last night, just so I could get a shower and wash out some clothes they were getting grimy. Two nights ago in the middle of the night in Hartville I got cold enough where I had to get up and boil some water in my stove fill one of my water bottles and put it in my sleeping bag keep me warm, worked out nicely I slept well got up yesterday with a strong wind sleet and snow and made my way to BenDavis Missouri where I’m at a lovely family and their store while they were practicing their guitars and bass we had a nice conversation they had just sold their store and had it for five years and talked about all the Cyclist said come through on the Transamerica trail  even showed me a lot of pictures of the friends they made. It was lovely and a great reminder of how we are all the same in this world they said more than  50% of the cyclists that came through were from different countries. Just the humanity is just really beautiful here and gives me hope. And I’m not saying this area the country is perfect there’s a lot of drug use from people without teeth or bad teeth but most people are good. I rolled into Houston yesterday afternoon about five after doing 40 miles and sleet snow a little bit of rain with a nice brisk north wind nudging me on my left side as I rolled east. Slept OK body is definitely tired from the road and all the endless hills and I’m told as I head east towards Eminence which I may hit today or tomorrow the hills are going to be even more but I also get to see the Ozark national forest or Mark Twain national Forest so I’m pretty excited for that I’m gonna slow down a little bit let my body try to catch up with what I’ve put it through for last week- today is officially one week of the trip I started last Saturday and made my way to Louisburg Kansas and now here I am in Houston Missouri.  Not gonna win a record for speed but that’s not what I’m here for I’m here because I want to see America the real America not the crap you see on the news. Well I better get my butt out of bed, I don’t want you think it’s all good  this trip, I’m not gonna make it out to be a heroes tale, I’m doing it for a variety of reasons it’s a spiritual quest for me, physical and mental quest, I want to be a tourist in America and see what America has to offer and see the difference  in towns and cities in America I wanna make sure that most of America still has the values it was created on by the founding fathers some of it’s been lost but most of it still here there are still people out there with integrity and honesty and do you know the difference between right and wrong and really just want simple things in life like food shelter clothing  education and good health. Period! I have faith in America I’ve lost some faith in the government though. Well that’s enough ranting for now. I need to get up shower go through all my gear repack clean up my bike and east. The sun is shining should warm up to 60s today, dang that’s gonna be a heat wave. Peace and love from the road. If you’d like my words or if you don’t let me know I don’t care they’re just words good to have dialogue though :-) if you want to support My my trip by buy me a cuppa coffee and sandwich I would love that and greatly appreciate it. You can find me on Venmo under Bill Poindexter or you can go to a wholeearthguide.blogspot.com And there is a link to PayPal on the desktop version I think. Or you can just message me. I always like constructive dialogue. Thanks to everyone who supporting me so far! I appreciate the kindness. Here’s a few photos hopefully will have video soon.

#wholeearthguide.blogspot.com

#transamericabicycletrail

No comments:

Post a Comment