Thursday, April 21, 2022

Dispatches from the road April 21








 Dispatches from the road April 21 Dispatches from the road by Bill Poindexter


April 20 and 21st.

Well yesterday on the 20th I left Lindsey And Nathan‘s in Cecilia Kentucky it made my way Southeast to Sonora Kentucky then over to Buffalo then up and over to Howard‘s town and from Howard‘s town I made my way to the Abbey of our Lady Gettemy which is where the monk Thomas Merton lived and I try to get a room there but had no reservation and I guess they just weren’t open to letting a pilgrim sleep on their property, beautiful place and I was sad they wouldn’t share it with me, it’s not the first time I’ve been turned down from a church for a place to stay I never understood that because if you’re a follower of Christ don’t you let people stay? I don’t know it’s kind of weird. But everything happens for a reason I guess and that’s OK. So I made my way down to Loretto and then from there ended up in Springfield Kentucky and I’m sleeping in the city park under a shelter and it’s very nice I like it quite a bit there’s lots of room and there’s lights if I need them and there’s also places to charge up my phones and the bathrooms are fine very simple little bit of traffic on the road next to me but not a big deal I can sleep there anything and I did. Had a little bit of a tummy ache when I went to bed last night so but feel better this morning looks like it’s gonna rain for the next few hours so I’m gonna hang out in the park and catch up on some writing I want to do in some reading and some meditation and some yoga as well. I had two big days over the last three days, 80 miles to days ago or actually three days ago and then a 58 mile day and then yesterday was probably 75-ish so I feel better about the mileage and I feel stronger to always takes about two weeks to really get the endurance level up especially when you’re on a traditional bicycle tour where are you’re caring a lot of weight. The Rollinghills of Kentucky are absolutely gorgeous and they’ve been more pronounced since yesterday afternoon. The trees are starting to bloom and so the countryside becoming greener the grass is lush the cows are fat and happy even saw an ostrich yesterday. I’m seeing a lot of dead animals on the side of the road squirrels skunks rabbits possum dogs and cats so do you drivers on the back roads be mindful please. It always breaks my heart when I see animals squished on the side of the road always say a little prayer for him and tell him I’m sorry. Wild flowers are starting to bloom all different types there’s lots of great vegetation out there big bunches of dandelions that would make a fine salad and did you know you can actually make dandelion pesto I’ve done it and it’s fantastic you should give it a try. Well I’m gonna hang out and get on the road later today I think today’s gonna be a short day since I’m not gonna get started till late so I’m either going to end up in Harrodsburg at the state park there that sounds good I like state parks or make my way over to Bryantsville. But I’m gonna let the rain die down for should be done by 11 or 12. Anyway hopefully you like my journey if you want to support me and buy me a cup of coffee and a sandwich I would greatly appreciate that if you look at the last few posts you’ll be able to figure out out how to do that. You can also go to wholeearthguide.blogspot.com And as always it’s hard to download pictures because I don’t have very good service out here in the country so I’ll download them when I can. Peace and love from the road bill

No comments:

Post a Comment