Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Dispatches from the road April 12th and 13th













 Dispatches from the road April 12th and 13th


Dispatches from the road by Bill Poindexter


Day 11-12

Johnson’s Shut-Ins was fun to take a off day at. The host of the campground for me was Bruce and his wife and they were kind enough to let me stay under shelter for the two nights I was there. I was able to do laundry and take a shower actually two showers and had electricity to charge my electronics. All for the exorbitant cost of two dollars per day, the price for a hiker biker site. I’m kidding of course, I’m very thankful we have the state parks in Missouri they run very well. So yesterday was my off day which means I’m basically off the bike. And I’m not gonna lie I needed the rest. After nine days of intense writing it was just nice to walk and relax and take a nap or two. Only thing really missing on this trip is more people Missouri and the towns the small towns not all of them but some of them just weren’t very inviting. I guess that happens with every state for towns in the richer towns. But I do miss talking to people. I’m such a social person anyway. So I got up this morning packed up the bike, Aimee and I had some words about one of our cats Steamboat, and I have to admit an unflattering way I was kind of an asshole to her. And for that I’m truly sorry, I just miss my cats very much and I tend to want anybody was taking care of them to take care of them like I take care of them which is completely unrealistic. So I learned a lesson we talked it out I think everything‘s good and I’m just grateful that Aimee is at the apartment taking care of the cats so I’m able to do this journey and go work on the farm for six months. Being grateful is something a lot of us forget to do just be grateful for the things we have, the people we love, our pets, for our spiritual relationships, our health, the magnificent planet we have, and there’s so much more just to be grateful about. That brings me to my bike ride today I rode east from the park and I thought I made pretty good time probably pushed a little harder than I should’ve. I decided I was going to make a run for the border, but I miss judged the distance and with the wind picking up possibility of storms later I was a little bit concerned I wouldn’t have a place to stay tonight that would be sheltered and normally I wouldn’t really care about it but I recently heard someone talking about tornadoes and I know the weather can change quickly especially in this area and then I passed a couple of houses with tornado damage from the past and that concern me a little bit. A few miles after I left Farmington Missouri I came across alone Cyclist, his name is Roy he was finishing up a tour he’s been on the road for 30 days had a family emergency he had a good take care of and was heading back to the Fair Grove to get picked up by one of the sisters. He was a nice gent and it was good to see him on the road, We exchanged traveling information and had a nice chat for about 10 minutes on the side of the road. He then rolled to the west with his bike and trailer and I headed back east . Looking at the map I started to realize there wasn’t much in the way of resupply on the road as I headed towards the Missouri/Illinois border. The wind also started to pick up and I started thinking maybe I need to try to find a place to sleep for the night at the very least get some water. As I was rolling down the road I saw a gentleman another fella on a quad coming out of a farm and I ask them for directions also where the possible resupply was and for water. The gentleman farmer, Clem, was very helpful, he’s also very kind. He gave me some advice and got some water for me. It’s starting to look like for where I was heading there wouldn’t be any shelter and I wouldn’t get there until after dark so I asked if there was any place around where I could just set up my tent on his property, possibly in a barn. We looked at each other squarely I introduced myself he introduced himself he told me to go down to his house talk to his wife who was watching their two grandsons playing basketball. And that they would figure out if they had a place in a barn for me for the house. So I made my way down to their house and met Dee, Oliver and Henry the two grandsons. Also they had to fun dogs to play with- Benji and Alex. Dee and I talked for a while and I told her my situation all about my trip she seem to be fascinated by the bicycle and all my gear so I shared that information. Oliver, a 10 year old boy, going on 20 was very impressive and articulate I asked him all about the farm and he told me all about the farm in a way that an adult would not a 10 year old, he’s very impressive young man. Henry still at that ripe old age of eight, he’s more focused on the things that little boys probably should be focused on with your match box cars and creative thinking. Well it was a joy to meet all of them. Ultimately Dee And Clem invited me into their home, and fed me a fine dinner green beans beef stew, probably the best beef stew I ever had my life. It was delicious. And dinner was just the three of us talking about life, my story, and their story. Just a few hours before I never even met these people and now they’re having me in their home made dinner and I’m sleeping in one of their bedrooms tonight. This type of graciousness and compassion for a fellow human being is it really extraordinary. And for the three of us to come together for probably just a 12 hour period as I will be leaving in the morning after breakfast. This reminds me of the way the world was 150 years ago for sojourners like me- when they got to town or an home and the sun was starting to go down just like it was tonight and they needed to find a place to rest they would simply knock on the door ask for lodging and a simple meal sometimes they would pay sometimes they wouldn’t it was just a common courtesy years ago. These are just good hard-working American people, and thousand acres they grow corn and soybean, raise cattle, and probably do other things that I’m not privy to right now it’s OK. I’m just glad to be a part of their story tonight and tomorrow morning. One of the things I am searching for on this journey is a stronger spirituality with the universe/creator. It’s people like Dee and Clem that give me hope.

As I’m getting ready to leave Missouri and head into Illinois I am reminded Of the need to have a strong spiritual foundation. It’s also the kindness of strangers that gives me hope. But I do believe that there’s still a fight coming. And we’re all in it together. We’re getting back to the basics of having honesty and integrity is the corner stone, responsible humanity and the foundation of everything… Truth.


4/13


Well I left Dee and Clem‘s place around 745 this morning and made my way through rain to Chester Illinois. I started to take a alternative route on the Mississippi levee but the trucks were just too much and I turned around after about 4 miles to take the other route but by that time the rain has started the heavier and there was a tornado watch issue so I made my way to a McDonald’s for some coffee and a little writing. I wait until about 3 o’clock, but the rains not letting up at all, still another 30 miles or so to Murphysboro. With the thunder and the lightning in the potential for tornadoes I thought it prudent to stay in town there is an organization here that offers free bunks to Cyclists, the Faternal Order of Eagles Which is a nonprofit organization focused on liberty justice equality and truth, all things I hold dear to my heart. The bunk room is very basic and free of charge. I like things simple so I’m very comfortable here. The main building also he is a Event place and there’s a bar and grill there as well, I will head up there for dinner in a little bit. Right now I’m drying out my clothes and some of my gear. I’m glad to be here in Chester Illinois tomorrow it’s supposed to be colder but sunny and I will make my way to the Murphysboro then.


Thank you for reading my words I hope you like them. I am on a journey from Kansas City Missouri to Martha’s Vineyard Massachusetts where I will become a Cheesemaker and a farmer that too I shall write about. But for right now I’m only a few miles away from the Illinois border I’ll be heading east and Illinois and then Kentucky and then Virginia and then up the East Coast of the United States to Martha’s Vineyard, I’m on my bicycle, I’m self-contained, and I’m telling stories of the encounters I’m having along the route. If you’d like these words and want more and want to support me I’m on a really tight budget so if you want to buy me a cup of coffee and a sandwich I would greatly appreciate that and feel free to share your thoughts and comments below. I’m posting when I can on the website Wholeearthguide.blogspot.com. You can find me on Venmo and there’s a link on the website to PayPal but you have to go to the web version. Peace and love from the road!


I will have to load images later. You can also find me on friend me on Facebook as well for the most up-to-date post

No comments:

Post a Comment