Wednesday, April 27, 2022

Hindman to Breaks interstate park And Virginia





 Dispatches from the road by Bill Poindexter


Well yesterday was another interesting day but the good news is I’m in Virginia staying at the breaks interstate park, didn’t get here till after dark last night but I made it. I left Hindman around 8 AM yesterday made it over the first hill and at the bottom of the hill stopped to check the map and realize my rear tire was flat that’s like changing a flat tire on the edge of a highway in the rain and low visibility but I did it I put a new tube in and patch the old one took about an hour then I got on my bike stopped a few places to see if I could find some patch kit but I couldn’t. So I just kept rolling and enjoying the beautiful scenery the hills in that part of Kentucky just keep rolling and rolling in with the low lying clouds and the soft rain it was really beautiful it was only in the low 50s but I was warm and comfortable. So I slowly meandered my way to the east and saw more signs of severe poverty and dogs chained up a lot of dog started chasing me yesterday I actually had two dogs that actually tore my rain covers on my panniers, they were pretty aggressive, but I can’t blame them in the conditions they live in they’re probably starving. I remember the conditions in Mexico of animals and I would say Kentucky’s worse in many ways least in this part of the Kentucky… Sad. There were lots of people yesterday that reached out to me that offered me help if I needed it down the road I appreciated that I finally made into Elkhorn city around 6 o’clock and luckily ran into a man who was a host here at the park with his wife. He actually offered to throw my bike in the back of the pick up, which and rest retrospect I should’ve taken, but I decided to roll to the park and it was a lot farther and harder to get here than I thought because of the hills. But I made it after dark and it’s a really beautiful area. So I’m not sure what I’m gonna do today. I am 78 miles from Damascus where there’s bike shops I don’t know if I want to stay here for the day because it’s so beautiful I would like to be by Woods for a day or just due to two short days to Damascus? Or one big push to Damascus actually I think that’s all the questions because I’ve got a lot of big climbing ahead of me. Oh well trials and tribulations of the road, right? Although yesterday was a hard day I really thoroughly enjoyed it, I called Aimee last night and I’m just glad I kept my shit together. The tires I have I bought brand new before I left I thought they would hold up a little bit better. C’est la vie! Well if you like my writing and you’re following this and I hope you are would love it if you bought me a cup of coffee while I’m on the road, maybe a sandwich. At the very least share my post tell your friends some crazy guy from Kansas City said he’s traveling cross-country it’s going to end up on a farm to be a cheese maker… Now that’s a good story and one soon coming.


Having a tough time loading pictures will have to do it again later hopefully you’ll be able to see it on Facebook as well you don’t have to be a member of Facebook to be able to view my post I believe. Peace and love from the road bill

No comments:

Post a Comment