Monday, April 18, 2022

Dispatches from the road

 Dispatches from the road by Bill Poindexter


April 18. I’m in Sebree Kentucky right now, yesterday, Easter, I spent the morning and Clay Kentucky at the first Baptist church with their congregation how to find breakfast, Easter egg hunt, and join their service. It was a lovely time and very nice people. I ended up leaving town around 1 PM so I rode through the lovely hilly countryside of Kentucky, so far beautiful state, and I just made my way to the second town over Sebree and as I roll through town hi gentlemen stopped me and asked me if I wanted to have some food with him and his wife there was a bike cost one town at the first Baptist Church, his name is Bob and at the time I told him I wanted to keep going because it was still fairly early only around 330 but as I thought about it and the weather was cool and look like rain was coming how decided to take him up on it and I met he and his wife Violet, and made my way back to the church where there’s a fine bicycle hostel hostel here in the town, I was able to shower do some laundry and Violet invited me over to their home for a fine meal of Cornish game hen, baked potato green beans and a salad and some fun conversation. Bob and Violet have lived in a town for 35 years and I’ve seen a lot of cyclist come in so I got to hear a bunch of those stories. Violet is one of the most beautiful people I’ve ever met. 


Going to roll out fairly early this morning to cold start 42 it did rain last night so I’m glad I was inside. Thankful for this opportunity although I tend to feel like I’m rushing it a little bit even though the mileage is not that great, I feel like I need to still relax a little bit and really enjoy countryside nature, the people of been fantastic go on the whole route. I’m very grateful to be here. I sent a note to a friend of mine Fred, who is a good soul and that he and his wife Lauralyn Kansas City and Aimee and I become friends with both of them Fred is very unassuming just a very good man Low-key and has a wonderful soul..,


Told him I felt a little rushed, and these are his wise words he sent, and to me it’s really more of a poem so I thought I’d share:


“h Bill


we both have u in our minds

… all the time


u got born with  all the molecules needed  that getu where u need to go


lucky man you are


im a complainer when it comes to cold and rain

… the only way id get thru… is have buddy like u thee to tell me to shut up and get back on my bike

;)


yes

older guys are like someone hungry at food counter ordering too much food


u know your pace… u ll get there soon enough


when its over … u ll probably wish it lasted longer

 

see ya on the other end


:)”


Wise words in deed, I love it! Well that’s it for now it’s about 4:42 AM in my sleep for a couple more hours and then get out make a pot of coffee pack up some food and roll. 


Sleep, eat, bike… And any combination of the three. :-) I appreciate all your support and prayers. If you’re interested in buying me a sandwich and a cuppa coffee on the road I would never say no you can find me on Venmo or on the website there’s a link to PayPal. I hope you don’t mind me asking foods a little more expensive on the road than I was counting on. And always feel free to reach out to me directly peace and love from the road, Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment